Certificate in Graphic Design
If you want to refine your graphic design skills without the extensive training required of a BFA or MA, this certificate is right for you. This program provides real-world preparation built on a foundation of design and typography skills, coupled with a thorough grounding in the use of the computer as a design tool. The primary emphasis of all courses remains the conceptual, creative process. The program will give you the practical design and digital skills necessary to secure entry-level and, depending on prior background, advanced employment in the graphic design field.
The certificate is designed to be a part-time program and can be completed in 2+ years. Students may choose from day and evening course offerings and may take as many courses per semester as scheduling and prerequisite requirements allow.
Review the Graphic Design Certificate Program suggested course sequence.
All candidates for the Graphic Design Certificate Program must satisfy the following requirements:
- Have earned at least 30 credits from an accredited post-secondary institution. (Please note this program is not intended for recent high school graduates).
- Submit a portfolio of original artwork or take Fundamentals of Graphic Design (ADG 100), earning a grade of B or better.
- Applicants must submit an official transcript of grades from high school and each college or university attended.
- Applicants to the Certificate Program must demonstrate proficiency in English. The University reserves the right to formally evaluate candidate's language skills as part of the admissions process.
- The University does not issue I-20 visas for the Certificate Program.
- The program will not be accelerated or altered to accommodate students requiring visas.
How to Apply
We will accept up to 9 transfer credits. The program has a residency requirement of 27 credits. Proficiency in current versions of software programs must be demonstrated in order to obtain transfer credit. Please note: Credits earned as a Continuing Education student are considered transfer credit.
All students must earn a minimum of 36 credits to be awarded a Graphic Design Certificate and have a cumulative G.P.A. of at least 2.0. It is also recommended that students take no more than five years to complete the Program.