Advanced Standing & Transfer Credit
New freshman and transfer students may be eligible for advanced standing and transfer credit by one of the following:
- College level courses successfully completed while in high school for incoming freshman students
- College level courses successfully completed after high school graduation – transfer students
- Advanced Placement examinations (AP)
- International Baccalaureate examinations (IB)
- French Baccalaureate examinations
- GCE Advanced Level examinations
- German Abitur examinations
- Italian Maturita examinations
- Military courses
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
College Courses Completed
Transfer credit is considered based on the following criteria:
- The course is considered equivalent to or similar in content to courses offered at Suffolk University.
- The course is taken at a regionally accredited institution or, in the case of an international institution, recognized by the Ministry of Education from that particular country.
- A grade of C- or higher must be received in the course.
- In the Sawyer Business School, direct transfer of business courses may be considered for courses equivalent to freshman/sophomore requirements at Suffolk. Certain business courses taken prior to junior/senior year may require a validation process to be considered for transfer credit.
- For BFA candidates, an extensive portfolio (five to ten pieces per course) representing work from each course must be presented. These will be reviewed once all admission credentials have been reviewed.
- A maximum of 75 semester hours may transfer from a two year institution.
- All transfer students must complete a minimum of 45 semester hours at Suffolk University. The final 30 semester hours must be taken at Suffolk University.
- Applicants who have taken courses at an international institution may be required to provide a transcript evaluation completed by an accredited professional credential evaluation agency. Those suggested include:
- The Office of Undergraduate Admission may request that an applicant submit course descriptions.
Advanced Placement Examinations
Suffolk University awards credit for most advanced placement examinations where a score of 3, 4, or 5 is received. Please see the chart below for required scores and equivalencies.
|ART HISTORY||4,5||4||HUMT HREQ|
|ART 2D DESIGN||4,5||3||ADFS 151|
|ART 3D DESIGN||4,5||3||ADFS 152|
|ART DRAWING||4,5||3||ADFS 101|
|BIOLOGY||scores 3, 4, 5
|6||Bio 101, L101, 102, L102|
|4, 5 (majors)||Bio 111, L111|
|CALCULUS AB||4,5||4||MATH 165|
|CALCULUS BC||4,5||8||MATH 165, 166|
|CALCULUS BC- AB Subscore||4,5||4||Math 165|
|CHINESE LANG||4||4||CHIN 201|
|CHINESE LANG||5||8||CHIN 202, FREE ELECTIVE|
|COMP SCI A||3,4,5||4||COMP SCI ELECTIVE|
|ENG LANG/COMP||4,5||8||ENG 101,102|
|ENG LIT/COMP||4,5||8||ENG 213,218|
|ENV. SCIENCE||3,4,5||3||SCI ELECTIVE|
|EUROPEAN HISTORY||3,4,5||8||HST 101,102|
|FRENCH LANG||4||4||FR 201|
|FRENCH LANG||5||8||FR 202, FREE ELECTIVE|
|GERMAN LANG||4,5||4=4 credits 5=8 credits||GER 201 with a score of 4/GER 202, FREE ELECTIVE with a score of 5|
|GOVT&POL US||3,4,5||4||GVT 110|
|GOVT&POL COMP||3,4,5||4||GVT 281|
|HUMAN GEOGRAPHY||3,4,5||4||FREE ELECTIVE|
|INT ENG LANG||N/A||NO CREDIT AWARDED||N/A|
|JAPANESE LANG||4||4||JPN 201|
|JAPANESE LANG||5||8||JPN 202, FREE ELECTIVE|
|MUSIC THEORY||3,4,5||4||FREE ELECTIVE|
|PHYSICS B||3,4,5||6||PHYS 111,112|
|PHYSICS C-MECH||3,4,5||3||PHYS 151|
|PHYSICS C-E&M||3,4,5||3||PHYS 152|
|SPANISH LANG||4,5||4=4 credits 5=8 credits||SPAN 201 with a score of 4/SPAN 202, FREE ELECTIVE with a score of 5|
|SPANISH LIT||4,5||4||SPAN 290|
|US HISTORY||3,4,5||8||HST 181,182|
|WORLD HISTORY||3,4,5||8||HST 121,122|
International Baccalaureate Examinations
Students who have completed the full IB diploma with a total of 28 points or more are eligible for sophomore standing. Students who earn fewer than 28 points may be eligible to receive University credit for a score of 4, 5, 6, or 7 in the higher level subjects.
French Baccalaureate Examinations
Four semester hours may be awarded, with a coefficient of 4, for courses completed with a grade of 11 or higher. Eight semester hours may be awarded, with a coefficient of 5, for courses completed with a grade of 11 or higher.
GCE Advanced Level Examinations
Credit may be awarded for subjects with grades of C or higher.
German Abitur Examinations
Students who have subjects with passes of 7 or higher may be eligible for credit.
Italian Maturita Examinations
Credit may be awarded for subjects with a grade of 6 or higher.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
A maximum of 32 semester hours of credit may be awarded for CLEP examinations. Of these 32 credits, a maximum of 16 semester hours may be general examinations, and a maximum of 16 semester hours may be subject examinations. The minimum CLEP score required to receive credit is at the 50th percentile. The CLEP tests taken prior to initial enrollment are reviewed by the Admission Office. CLEP tests taken by current Suffolk University students are reviewed by the Registrar’s Office. For current Suffolk University students, CLEP will not be awarded in the senior year and must be taken prior to your last 30 hours at the University.
The Ballotti Learning Center at Suffolk University offers CLEP tests to both Suffolk and non-Suffolk students. For more information concerning CLEP examinations and registration, please visit www.suffolk.edu/ballotti.
|CLEP Examination||Semester Hours||Suffolk Equivalent|
|American Government||4||Gvt 110|
|American Literature||8||Eng 217 & Eng 218|
|Analyzing & Interpreting Literature||8||Free Electives|
|Biology||6*||Bio 101 & Bio 102|
|Chemistry||6*||Chem 111 & Chem 112|
|College Algebra||4||Math 104|
|College Mathematics||8||Math 130 & Math Elective|
|College Composition||8||Eng 101 & Eng 102|
|History of the United States I||4||Hst 181|
|Humanities||8||Hum 101 & Hum 102|
|Intro to Educational Psychology||4||Ehs 204|
|Intro to Macroeconomics||4||Econ 102|
|Intro to Microeconomics||4||Econ 101|
|Introductory Psychology||4||Psych 114|
|Introductory Sociology||4||Soc 113|
|Social Sciences & History||8||Free Electives|
|*These CLEP exams do not include credit for labs.|