Academic FAQs

Can I do an internship or co-op?

Suffolk prides itself on providing students with access to real-world experiences. Through class activities, internships, and co-ops, the resources of Boston become an extension of Suffolk University's classrooms. In fact, some academic majors require a student to complete an internship or co-op assignment before graduation. The University's prime location in downtown Boston is an easy walk to the Financial District, Government Center, medical facilities, and judicial courts. Students intern and co-op at diverse organizations such as the US State Department, The Boston Globe, Federal Express, MCI, and Putnam Investments. For more information, visit our Office of Career Services & Cooperative Education.

Who are the academic advisors? Will I have my own advisor?

Academic advisors are full-time faculty members. Yes, each student is assigned a faculty advisor who is in his/her field of study. Academic advisors enjoy considerable knowledge of the University's day-to-day operations and they are valuable resources in helping students find solutions to more than just academic challenges.

Who teaches class, graduate students or professors?

Professors teach the majority of all courses and 94 percent of those professors hold a PhD or terminal degree. In some cases, part-time faculty or doctoral candidates may teach freshman classes and introductory-level psychology.

How big are classes?

The average class at Suffolk University is 20 students.

When do classes begin and end?

The fall semester begins in early September and continue through final exams in mid-December. The spring semester begins in mid-January and continues through final exams in early May. The full Academic Calendar is available on the MySuffolk Portal.

Does Suffolk University award advanced placement credit for AP or CLEP?

Academic credit may be awarded for most College Board Advanced Placement (AP) tests. A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit may be awarded for successful completion of the CLEP examinations. Please see the AP & CLEP Equivalency Charts page for more information.

I was a student at Suffolk University and want to return. What do I do?

You must fill out a re-entry form, unless you have officially declared a leave of absence through the Dean of Students Office, in which case you must go through that office. A re-entry form can be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Admission by calling 617.573.8460 or 1.800.6SUFFOL(K) or on the Applications & Forms page. Students who were academically dismissed must work with their respective academic dean's office.