Transfer Deadlines & Requirements
|For Fall 2014...||Deadline Date Is...|
|Admission with Housing||February 1, 2014|
|Admission without Housing||June 30, 2014|
|Financial Aid Application||June 30, 2014|
|Enrollment deposit deadline||Listed in your decision letter|
Admission decisions for fall 2014 are sent out on a rolling basis beginning in late January. Transfer student financial aid is awarded on a rolling basis subject to the availability of funding.
The deadline for priority financial aid is March 1; funding for any application submitted after that date will be based on availability. The FAFSA is required.
|For Spring 2014...||Deadline Date Is...|
|Admission with Housing||December 1, 2013|
|Admission without Housing||November 1, 2013|
|Financial Aid Application||November 1, 2013|
|Enrollment deposit deadline||January 3, 2014|
Admission decisions for spring 2014 are sent out on a rolling basis beginning in mid-September. Transfer student financial aid is awarded on a rolling basis subject to the availability of funding.
Please note that these are suggested filing dates. Housing for transfer students is limited and is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants are also advised to submit required documents as soon as possible.
Here's a list of what transfer students need to submit. You can find the Suffolk materials on our Forms & Applications page:
- Supplement, $50 Application Fee
- Official final high school transcript sent directly from high school to Suffolk (Students entering the university, who are applying for federal student aid, will need to submit proof of completion from an accredited secondary school. This can be either an official copy of the final secondary school transcript or a copy of the secondary school diploma. Financial aid will not be credited toward a student’s tuition bill until this condition is met.)
- SAT scores (required only for applicants who have completed less than one full year of college and who have graduated high school within the past three years)
- Official college transcript(s) from every college or university attended (sent directly from the college or university to Suffolk)
- Statement of activity (required only for those applicants who have not been continually educated since high school graduation)
- Copy of alien registration card, front and back (permanent residents only)
- Portfolio (for NESAD applicants only)
Additional requirements for international transfer students:
- Official TOEFL results
- Copy of current I20, if applicable
- Confidential Declaration of Finances
Transfer Credit from Other Colleges or Universities
Generally speaking, transfer credit is considered for courses equivalent to or similar in content to courses offered at Suffolk University. Courses must be taken at a regionally-accredited institution or, in the case of an international institution, recognized by the Ministry of Education of that particular country. A grade of C- or higher must also be earned for consideration of transfer credit. A maximum of 75 semester hours may transfer from a two-year institution.
In the Sawyer Business School, direct transfer credit may be awarded for courses equivalent to freshman/sophomore requirements at Suffolk University. Certain business courses taken prior to the junior/senior year may require a validation process to be considered for transfer credit.
As prospective BFA students, transfer candidates must be prepared to present an extensive portfolio (five to ten pieces per course) representing work from each course for which they are seeking transfer credit. All portfolios will be reviewed at the departmental level once all admission credentials have been reviewed by the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
All transfer students must complete a minimum of 45 semester hours at Suffolk University.
Transfer Credit Evaluation
Admitted transfer students will receive an official credit evaluation with their letter of acceptance. The evaluation includes a list of transferable courses along with the Suffolk University equivalent course. After your initial acceptance, all official transcripts must be received within 30 days of enrollment to be considered for credit. This ensures that you will not duplicate any courses at Suffolk University.