Governor's Race Now a Toss-Up With Less Than Two Weeks To Go

10/23/2002

BOSTON, MA -- Republican candidate Mitt Romney has rallied from a 12% deficit to pull even with Democratic nominee Shannon O’Brien, according to an exclusive 7NEWS-Suffolk University poll released today, which shows Romney with 37.2% versus O’Brien’s 36.7%. The race is considered a statistical dead heat.

Green Party candidate Jill Stein garnered 2.5%, while Libertarian Party candidate Carla Howell and Independent candidate Barbara Johnson each received 1% of the vote. There are still 22% of likely voters who remain undecided.

"This race is so close that one mistake, one slip-up, one untimely glare caught by a debate camera could make the difference in who wins or loses," said Suffolk University adjunct professor David Paleologos, a veteran pollster and author. "Since March, the lead has switched four times between O’Brien and Romney and there is still time for more lead changes."

The 7NEWS-Suffolk University poll also showed a major shift to Romney with Independent/Unenrolled voters. In that category, Romney now leads O’Brien by 19%. This sharply contrasts with a 7NEWS-Suffolk University poll released on October 7, which showed O’Brien leading Romney by 2% of Independent/Unenrolled voters.

Interestingly enough, the gender gap enjoyed by O’Brien amongst women (41% to 33%) is now offset by Romney’s lead amongst men (42% to 32%).

In other findings, Democrat Tim Cahill (40%) now leads Republican Dan Grabauskas (23%) and Green Party nominee Jamie O’Keefe (7%) in the race for State Treasurer. A total of 30% of voters were undecided.

In the ballot question breakdown, Question 1 (eliminating the state personal income tax) is failing by a 57% to 31% margin. Question 2 (English language education in public schools) is overwhelmingly supported by a 68% to 25% differential. As for Question 3 (an advisory question asking if voters support taxpayer money to be used for political campaigns for public office) the final tally showed voters rejecting the measure by a 61% to 28% gap.

The 7NEWS-Suffolk University poll was conducted from October 20 through October 22, 2002. The margin of error is +/- 4.90% at a 95% level of confidence. All respondents indicated they were likely voters in the general election.

Suffolk University has tabulated 75 pages of statistical data which can be found on the Suffolk website (www.suffolk.edu). For more information, please contact Suffolk adjunct professor David Paleologos at 781-290-9310.

7NBC (WHDH-TV) is Boston’s NBC Network affiliate, a Sunbeam Broadcasting station, and "the News Station" delivering the market’s leading source for breaking news, special reports, features and critical information: 7NEWS!

Suffolk University, located on Boston’s historic Beacon Hill, is a comprehensive, global institution distinguished by its teaching and the intellectual contributions of its faculty. Suffolk offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 70 areas of study. Its mission is to provide quality education at an affordable cost for students of all ages and backgrounds. Suffolk has a combined enrollment of more than 7,000 full-time and part-time students at its College of Arts and Sciences, Sawyer School of Management, Law School and New England School of Art and Design

Suffolk Contacts:
Mariellen Norris:
617-573-8450
or
Tony Ferullo:
617-573-8448

7NBC Contact:
Ro Dooley Webster
Director of Public Relations
617-248-5565

Back to News »